Thursday, April 14, 2016

Ode to a Car Seat


My third and final baby has outgrown this infant car seat. 

Big man weighed in at 21 lbs 7 oz at his doctor's appointment last week and the seat only goes up to 22 lbs. So, while the baby in question was taking his morning nap, I swapped around and installed new car seats. I came back inside and went to pick this up this old piece of plastic to send it on it's merry "Konmari" way.
But this piece of plastic fought back! Out of nowhere, my heartstrings got tangled up in that 5-point-harness and shot 70 mph down memory lane. 

I saw Kevin, the human swing, fist closed tight around the Graco handle, rocking a baby to sleep while we talked with people after a dinner at his parents' house.

I saw Alexander, all strapped in for a road trip. He had been crying, but I finally remembered to put on Uncle Eric's demo CD and now he was quiet and listening intently. 

I saw me and Kevin, sitting on a couch, taking turns using our feet and hands to rock the sleeping baby in the carrier on the floor. 

I saw myself, arm through the handle, twisting my body back and forth to rock a baby while I chatted with friends after book club had been "over" for 20 minutes. 

I saw Jacob, latched onto the stroller, cruising through the airport with Alexander in the seat in front of him.

I saw Christopher, rear-facing in the van, smiling and giggling at Jacob singing in the backseat. 

This carrier brought all 3 boys home from the hospital, It has held my babies and kept them safe for almost 9 years. It's been a valiant little trouper. It's worn and old and it's time has come. But I'm not sorry to cry just a little. I have so much joy to look back on and this piece of plastic was certainly in the frame. 

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post Amy! Love all the memories brought forth by that piece of plastic, and if it could talk--there'd be more to say I'm sure.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenny likes to tease me for getting emotionally attached to inanimate objects, but they can be so special to us because of the memories they carry! Thanks for sharing this post; it's good to know I'm not alone ;)

    ReplyDelete